Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Monday, April 30, 2007

Book Recommendations

After Holy Week I wanted to read something light and frivolous, so I picked up Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. This is third book in his Discworld series, a series which, if you like Fantasy novels and have a sense of humor, you've waited too long to start. These books have been compared to Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, only Pratchett does a much better job of it. The Discworld series is actually worth reading apart from its comedic value. Start out with The Color of Magic and see if you don't agree.

Next I chose a book from Al Kresta's recommendations (he has not steered me wrong yet), The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder. I hesitated because a synopsis of the plot made me think the book would be a bummer. Instead, this book was quite charming and in the end edifying and profound. As one of the characters says, "Now learn...learn at last that anywhere you may expect grace."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home