Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bumper Sticker Theology

On my homeward commute yesterday, I passed a car with a bumper sticker that read, "God is too big to fit into one religion." I understand the sentiment behind this bumper sticker. I, too, am tired of hearing people who seem eager to assign others to the flames of perdition. But I am downright annoyed with the adherents of this self-congratulatory-open-minded-ism who seem eager to assign others to the category of the ignorant and narrow-minded.

Just now, as I awoke for my nightly struggle with insomnia,I thought of course God is too big to fit into one religion. But that kind of thinking is based on a tacit assumption that religion is a man-made thing. I wonder if those with this bumper sticker ever paused to consider that God is too big even for their syncretistic irreligious religion.

See apophaticism or via negativa.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 AM, Blogger Abu Daoud said…

    There is a false presumption here that the telos of a religion is to contain God or to explain him exhaustively. What religion claims to contain God?

    If we are speaking of an exhaustive explanation of God we Christians offer the incarnate Word. And that is not a religion explaining God, but God explaining himself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home