Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lessons from Bridegroom Matins of Great and Holy Wednesday

Sessional Hymn Third Tone
The harlot approached thee, O Lover of mankind, pouring out on they feet costly perfume mixed with tears; and at thy command she was redeemed from the stench of her sins. But the ungrateful disciple, though he was touched by they grace, rejected it and defiled himself with mire, selling thee for love of money. O Christ, glory to thy tender mercy.

Tone Four
Deceitful Judas, in his love for money, contrived a deceptive plan to betray thee, O Lord, Treasury of life. Given to strong drink, he ran to the Jews and said to the transgressors of the law: What will you give me, if I betray him to you to be crucified?

The first two hymns contrast the actions of Mary Magdalene and Judas. What would be sung about me in my hymn? I have sold the Lord, made His sacrifice of no use in my life, and I have done so for much less than 30 pieces of silver, adulation of my wit, a place in front of some slow-poke during my commute, 30 extra seconds to think of me and my needs rather than the person I had just offended through thoughtlessness....

Tone Eight
O Merciful One, to thee the harlot cried out wailing; she wiped ardently thy pure feet with her hair, deeply sighing: O my God Cast me not from thee and despise me not, but receive me in repentance and save me, for thou alone art the lover of mankind.

The Kontakion
O Good One, I have acted lawlessly more than the harlot, yet never have I offered thee a flow of tears, but in silence I fall down before thee, kissing with longing thy pure feet, asking thee as a Master to grant me forgiveness of my sins, and I cry to thee, O Savior: deliver me from the mire of my deeds.

May the words of the Kontakion be my own.




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home