Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Monday, April 02, 2007

Lessons From Bridegroom Matins of Great and Holy Tuesday

Since my work schedule prevents me from attending services for much of Holy Week, I decided to at least read through the services, pray the prayers and participate as much as possible in this way. When I read the following prayer, I felt a heavy weight pressing down on me.

Do Thou, who of Thine own good will was lifted up upon the Cross, O Christ our God, bestow Thy bounties upon the new Nation which is called by Thy Name; make glad in Thy might those who lawfully govern, that with them we may be led to victory over our adversaries, having in Thine aid a weapon of peace and a trophy invincible.

Submitting to Orthodox Tradition teaches us to pray in the way that we should. Without bitterness, judgment or lack of love. This particular prayer also taught me that I needed to go back and re-edit the post in which I first mentioned the scandal that continues to plague the OCA. I am ashamed that I let my anger and judgmentalism get the better of me. I am no less resolved to do what I can to help resolve this scandal. But now I am also resolved to do so with a spirit of love, with The Spirit of Love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home