Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Book Recommendation

It proved impossible to select quotes from Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather, to give a feel for the book. Indeed, the first half of the book was interesting enough for me to keep reading, never paced slowly enough for me to even consider quitting it or call it boring. Yet a few times I wondered why it made Al Kresta's list of edifying literature, or why it was considered a masterpiece of American literature. But, in the second half of the book, I came across a passage that would move me so much that I thought, "Wow! I've got to put this passage in my post." Then I'd go back and re-read the section and realize that I'd have to write a lot of background to put the passage in context enough so that my intrepid readers would be able to see what made that quote noteworthy. Then the same thing happened with the next passage that I wanted to quote, and the next, and the next.

After I read the last line I closed the book and just sat still basking in it, "Wow! That was beautiful."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home