Art of Persistence

"The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence." -Albert Ellis

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday of the Paralytic (belated)

Okay, so I'm a week late. But I was thinking about this story of the paralyzed man who was lowered to Jesus through the roof of the house where Jesus was teaching and healing. What does Jesus say to him first? "Your sins are forgiven."

I can imagine the man thinking, "My sins? Can't you see? I want to be able to walk!!!"

I can imagine this because this is the way I treat God. When I ask for healing and He gives me something more fundamental, I act as if God needs me to instruct Him as to what is best for me.

Maybe it really is best to simply say, "Lord, have mercy."

2 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jim Shepherd said…

    Jesus likened us to sheep.
    Sheep are stupid, stubborn and follow whoever is out in front, no matter that it may lead to destruction. Not a very flattering simile, but the truth is never very flattering.
    How can we truly know what we really need when we hardly take the time to enjoy a decent meal with friends, let alone take the time to reflect on our lives and actions or pray before God.

    --Theophan.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Rich said…

    If only we really would follow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home